Welcome to the blog devoted to brass playing and classical music. A blog by two brass teachers: Matt Hurley and Doug Battson.

Thursday, July 01, 2004

A Letter From Mom

From the Mansfield News Journal:
Tami Ketteman's son wasn't in the Renaissance Theatre on Wednesday night.

But he was in his mother's heart as "A Letter From Mom" the Mount Gilead woman wrote was read before a standing-room only crowd who came to see the U.S. Army Field Band and Soldiers' Chorus.

Marcus Carney, 21, is stationed in Afghanistan with the 501st Airborne. He left Kenyon College after one quarter to fight for his country. He was studying ancient civilizations and cultures.

"One morning as I was having my coffee and I thought how there are thousands other mothers who are feeling the same thing I was," Ketteman said during intermission.

"Seeing him grow up, I realize that I can't protect him anymore. I wanted everyone to pray for my son and all those fighting overseas."

The Army learned of the letter and posted it on its Web site about eight weeks ago.
...
It's difficult for her not knowing exactly where her son is or how he's doing. E-mails are "few and far between," she said.

"Mostly, they just say, 'Mom, I'm alive. Stop worrying,'" she said.

"I wrote the letter because I'm so proud of him and wanted people to pray for him."

The letter was read by Master Sgt. Janet Hjelmgren to musical accompaniment. Afterward, the crowd applauded as Ketteman gripped her husband's hand and smiled through the tears.
Check out the video here of a performance of this piece.

1 Comments:

Blogger Big Doug said...

In case you haven't seen this, please do. This was a very moving video (about two or three minutes in length). I would encourage everybody to watch this especially on this July 4th weekend.

3/7/04 11:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home